Monday, March 15, 2010

Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies

I found this recipe online & boy oh boy is it delicious!!! I've never baked with Almond Paste before & have never even seen it before so I started calling around. Walmart said they didn't carry it, Target said they didn't carry it & then World Market claimed they did. So I went to World Market & purchased this:
I was suspicious that it was Marzipan not Almond Paste, but they asked me if I was baking with it & when I replied yes, they said this was the right stuff, so I bought it. I made the cookies with it and they were REALLY GOOD! The only problem was they all weren't the prettiest cookies, mostly flat & gooey, some were a little bit more puffy, but we decided they tasted like Paradise Bakery chocolate chip cookies & were satisfied with the results! Then the next time I was at Target I just mozied down the baking aisle & lo & behold, there was the PURE Almond Paste that they swore they didn't carry! Grrrrr. Anywho, we bought it and made the same recipe again with the pure Almond Paste to see the difference.
(approx $4 a tube which would make 2 batches)
We think you can taste the almond flavoring a little bit more in the 2nd batch more and the cookies were a little bit more fluffy vs. flat. My kids said that they LOVED both batches so this recipe will definitely be in rotation often when we make cookies!
almond chocolate chip chip cookies:
2 sticks softened butter
3/4 C. sugar
3/4 C. brown sugar
3 oz. Odense Pure Almond Paste (I just cut the pkg in half)
2 eggs
1 TB. vanilla
2 & 1/2-3 C. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
12 oz. bag of milk chocolate chips
3/4 C. chopped almonds (optional)
1. Beat butter & sugars until light & fluffy.
2. Add the almond paste in small pieces/pinches until well mixed in.
3. Add eggs & vanilla until well combined.
4. Add in baking soda, salt & chocolate chips, mix.
5. Add in flour (dough is sticky).
6. Scoop onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (optional), bake 350 degrees for 11-12 minutes or until golden. Let cool then dig in!
If these aren't a festival of flavor to your taste buds, you may want to have your taste buds checked out!

No comments:

Post a Comment